Sunday, December 18, 2011

More Sourdough

I've been lamenting the lack of "tang" in my sourdough breads...  I read an article which suggested the answer is to add sour salt (citric acid crystals) to the mix.  Long story short, I no longer own sour salt, and I really have no other use for it, so I don't feel compelled to go out and buy some.  I tried adding a teaspoon of lemon juice to the bread.  Honestly, I didn't think it made a difference.  So, I've been making yummy bread which has slightly less of the interesting flavors that I've been looking for.

Until this weekend.  Thursday night, I mixed up a batch of dough for challah, but it didn't work quite right.  The dough didn't come together correctly, it was crumbly and oily and kind of a mess.  I tried to salvage it in small batches, and was able to get it somewhat dough-like.  I braided it and slipped it into the cold oven overnight hoping the yeasties would work their magic.  Friday morning, I awoke to find two loaves that were only slightly more risen than the night before.  Figuring I'd come this far with this batch, I baked the loaves, and while they were baking, I mixed up yet another batch of dough, which came out perfectly.  The bread in the oven didn't rise much (I think too much flour...), I wrapped the fresh dough in floured plastic wrap, threw it all in the car and left the house in a hurry.

The challah was tasty but dry and crumbly.  It was twelve hours after leaving the house when I unwrapped the dough (which was trying to escape from the plastic wrap) to shape it on my mother's kitchen counter and allow it to rise overnight.  In the morning I baked the new breads, packed them up and headed down to NYC for the family party.  To my surprise, the bread had a hint of a tang to it - the kind of kick that you expect to taste when you bite into something labelled 'sourdough'!  So, maybe there's something to this "rise twice" business?

Anyway, glaze with egg and maple syrup, pop in the oven at 350°F for 30 minutes, then 400°F for another 10 minutes to finish up cooking the insides, pull it out and it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment